An Introduction to: Digital Photo Frames
In this article we review 5 of our favorite Digital Photo Frames. Now-a-days fewer and fewer people choose to print photographs, and even viewing digital pictures can require a degree of effort – maybe they’re on an memory card you have to find, or an external hard-drive, even booting up a laptop can be an unnecessary and time consuming inconvenience.
Having an “always on” device that blends in with traditional picture frames can be a fantastic addition to any seniors home. You may even want to scan old photographs and add them to your digital photo albums.
Digital Photo Frames: MeemawTech Key Criteria
WebMD noted that 1 in 9 US Adults Over 45 Reports Memory Issues. For anyone with mild memory loss, or more serious memory conditions, such as those associated with alzheimer’s or dementia, photo therapy can offer stimulation and help them recognize family and friends in what can be a very confusing time. Also, creating a timeline of happy events in their life can play a key role in enabling them reminisce about pleasant times such as life milestones and friendships. Having a digital picture frame can complement other memory aids we’ve reviewed such as Alzheimer Clocks, Key Finders and Voice Recorders.
One of the great features of the Digital Picture Frames we’ve chosen is the ability for photos to be remotely sent to them. In most cases this is as easy as sending an email with a picture attached. This removes the need to use a device such as a phone, laptop computer or tablet to see the photos – as they will automatically appear on the digital photo frame. Sharing life’s moments with your friends & loved ones is very rewarding and keeps you closer together. I’ve personally used this to keep my parents and parents-in-law up-to-date on my family’s celebrations, holidays and special events.
The Shortlist: Digital Photo Frames
The selection of digital photo frames we tried and tested cover a range of sizes and technical features – with budgets to suit everyone. All of them are wireless, come with a stand or can be wall mounted and will auto-rotate into either portrait or landscape modes. We’d be happy with any of them, but we do have our favorites! Check out our comparison:
Nixplay 13.3″ Smart Digital Picture Frame
Nixplay 13.3″ Smart Digital Picture Frame: Key Features
The Nixplay 13.3 is from Nixplay who claim to be the global number-one selling digital photo frame manufacturer; having sold over 1 million frames and operated for over 5 years.
The frame we’ve chosen has a sharp 13.3 inch HD screen – which offers great viewing angles and distances – Nixplay do offer a variety of other sizes. And although it’s not a touchscreen, it will automatically rotate your photos depending on whether it’s in portrait or landscape. It also works with Amazon Alexa, and if you store photos on Google Photos, Dropbox, Facebook or Instagram you can view these directly; as well as adding photos via email or the Nixplay mobile phone app.
The motion sensor means you don’t need to worry about it being left on unnecessarily, and the included remote control makes it a breeze to flick through your photo albums – even if the frame is mounted in an awkward position.
There are plenty of easy customizations such as photo transitions & colour adjustments
Nixplay 13.3″ Smart Digital Picture Frame: What’s in the Box
- Nixplay Smart Photo Frame
- Wall Adaptor with US plug
- Infrared Remote
- Wall Mounting Screws
- Wall Mount Guide
- Quick Start Guide
Nixplay 13.3″ Smart Digital Picture Frame: Pros and Cons
- Clear HD screen with deep blacks and vibrant colors
- Medium/large screen for easy viewing at a distance
- Can play video clips with sound
- Includes a simple remote control
- Connects to all the main online photo services (Google Photos, Facebook, Instagram, Dropbox & NixplayPlus)
- Energy efficient with configurable motion sensor
- Intuitive app interface
- Reasonable 8GB storage – but less than many of its competitors. Although, access to a variety of cloud photo services compensates for this
- No external SD or USB card support
- Cannot connect and download photos directly from your laptop or computer
- The most expensive photo frame in our showdown – but you get quality in return
Nixplay 13.3″ Smart Digital Picture Frame: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
Setting up the Nixplay Digital Picture Frame may require some help , but once it’s up and running adding new photos, either by email, app or online photo service is simple.
Nixplay have created a number of easy to follow videos online to help you with the installation – including technical set-up and wall-mounting. They also have a customer services helpline.
I’ve personally found that adding photos by email to be the simplest approach – it’s as easy as sharing the unique email address for your nixplay with friends and family and waiting for them to start sending you happy memories!
- AMERICA'S TOP SELLING DIGITAL FRAME: Trusted by over 2.5 million Nixplay customers. Make it easy for you and even easier for Grandma – with Nixplay you can send photos and video clips direct to your family's living rooms, privately – wherever they are - via the Nixplay iOS or Android Mobile App, Desktop Web App and Email. Import your photos from Google Photos, Facebook, and Instagram.
- PRIVATE, SECURE & TRUSTED: Nixplay's cloud storage is located on secure, encrypted servers, so you can rest assured that your Nixplay photostream is secure, private, and GDPR compliant. Our Customer Service team is here to help should you have questions about your Nixplay Smart Frame; We have millions of happy users. We can reach us through phone, email, or chat. Nixplay's frame and App interface are available in English, German, French, and Japanese.
BSIMB 10.1″ Digital Picture Frame
BSIMB 10.1″ Digital Picture Frame: Key Features
The BSIMB 10.1 is from BSIMB – not a exactly a household name, but don’t let that put you off considering this very capable digital photo frame.
This is a medium sized frame, coming in at just over 10 inches – so maybe more suited to a smaller room, or bedside table. We included this frame in our showdown as it’s great value for money, and includes some features that some of the more expensive competitors do not, for example access to online photo steams from Facebook & Twitter, inclusion of an impressive 16GB internal storage, touchscreen and the ability to play 1080P Full HD video.
Adding photos can be achieved by a number of methods, smartphone app, Facebook, Twitter, email, PC Control and unlimited cloud flow (with no monthly fee!).
A feature we really liked was the ability to add captions and messages to photos. You can also use the frame to display the weather forecast and a calendar – along with multiple clocks and alarms.
BSIMB 10.1″ Digital Picture Frame: What’s in the Box
- 10.1 inch Digital Picture Frame
- Mini USB Cable
- US Adapter
- User Manual
- Warranty Card
BSIMB 10.1″ Digital Picture Frame: Pros and Cons
- Various ways to add your photos
- View Twitter & Facebook photo streams
- Play background music to your slideshow
- Plenty of storage (16GB)
- Add custom captions and messages to your photographs
- A calendar & local weather forecast can be displayed
- Compatible with external USB & SD Cards
- Motion sensor for energy efficiency
- Traditional brown wood frame
- Vibrant display
- Screen resolution slightly lower than some of its rivals
- No dedicated remote control
- Maybe more suited to smaller rooms give the screen size
- At this price we can’t be too critical!
BSIMB 10.1″ Digital Picture Frame: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
Setting up the BSIMB Digital Picture Frame was reasonably straightforward and the user manual was simple to understand, but like all the frames we’ve reviewed, you might want some help depending on how confident your are with wireless technology. Again, once it’s up and running adding new photos by email, app, online photo service or from an external source is easy and convenient.
- [Touch screen and Auto-Rotate Function ] 10.1 inch IPS Full HD Display with Touch Screen allows you to set up the digital frame and view the photos more conveniently. Digital photo frame with auto-rotate function to automatically correct the orientation of your photos to best fit the screen. Brightness and sleep mode can be adjusted in settings as you want.
- [Wireless and Safely Share Your Live Photos] Wi-Fi connected has great advantage of wireless instant sharing images to your loved ones' digital photo frame via APP, E-mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- [Multi-Fuction&Auto Rotation] Digital photo frames can play background music when displaying photos. More functions like clock, calendar, scheduled power on/off, picture zoom and auto-rotation are waiting for you to explore.
Dragon Touch 10″ Digital Picture Frame
Dragon Touch 10″ Digital Picture Frame: Key Features
The Dragon Touch 10 is from Dragon Touch a company founded about 10 years ago. In addition to Digital Photo Frames, they also produce various tablets, baby monitors, computer monitors and action cameras.
The frame we’ve chosen from Dragon Touch is the 10 inch Classic which sits in the the middle of their product range. It’s superb value for money considering the quality of the screen and features. It’s another medium sized frame which is preferred by many for smaller rooms or where the frame will typically be positioned near the person. It feels sturdy and well made.
It has a 16:10 screen; so a little “squarer” than the 16:9 screens on some of the more expensive frames we’ve reviewed.
The frames simple menu sets it apart from some of the competition allowing you to configure settings with ease.
It comes with a whopping 16GB of internal storage and can play photos from external SD & USB drives. It plays 30 second video clips. The resolution of the auto-rotating IPS touchscreen is really good, not perfect, but at 1280 x 800 it should meet almost everybody’s visual needs.
Dragon Touch 10″ Digital Picture Frame: What’s in the Box
- Dragon Touch Wifi Cloud Photo Frame Classic 10
- Power adapter with power cable
- USB Data Cable
- User Manual
Dragon Touch 10″ Digital Picture Frame: Pros and Cons
- Vivid 10.1“ IPS Touch Screen
- Various ways to add your photos (App, email, computer & external storage)
- Plenty of storage (16GB)
- Alarms, calendar & local weather forecast
- Compatible with external USB & SD Cards (max 32GB)
- Can play 30 second video clips with sound
- User friendly interface (worthy of note is the ability to directly delete individual photos)
- No motion sensor for improved energy efficiency (but it does have an on/off timer)
- No access to online photo services
- Screen resolution 1280 x 800 is slightly lower than some of its competitors
- No dedicated remote control
- Small screen size
Dragon Touch 10″ Digital Picture Frame: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
We liked the user friendly interface of the Dragon Touch Digital Picture Frame App and the frames intuitive touchscreen controls. You might not need much support in setting this digital photo frame up. However, transferring photos by FTP might seem a little daunting, but using the app, external storage or email are much more straightforwward.
The User Manual was detailed and setup steps simple to follow. And if you get stuck, you can contact their customer services by phone or email.
- STAY TOGETHER WITH FAMILIY: This Wi-Fi cloud photo frame can quickly update your life moments with your loved ones wherever you are. It helps to stay close to your family members, it is a perfect gift for the elder to feel connected with the young generation.
- INSTANT WIRELESS SHARING: Other than traditional digital photo frame, Classic 10 can instantly receive photos and videos via Wi-Fi network (NOTE: Only works with 2.4 GHz). You, your families and friends can share the moments to the frame with multi convenient methods, such as phone App, sending email, or turning the frame to be a local ftp server.
- WONDERFUL PICTURE DISPLAY: A high-quality 10.1'' touch screen display with 1280*800 resolution and 16: 10 aspect ratio recalls your precious memories. Customized sleep mode and auto-rotate setting support your better viewing experience, you can place this frame in either portrait or landscape mode, or even mount it on the wall.
Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame
Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame: Key Features
The Feelcare 15.6 is the largest digital photo frame produced by Feelcare – other sizes available include 7″, 8″, 10.1″ and 11″. We’ve chosen the biggest 16:9 IPS touchscreen measuring a gigantic 15.6 inches – perfect for large rooms or anyone with poor vision. The resolution for a screen this size isn’t bad either at 1920 x 1080.
As you’d expect with a panel as large as this, it’s not overly cheap – size comes at a price.
This is the only digital photo frame in our showdown that does not allow photographs to be emailed to the frame, instead, it requires all users to use the free Frameo app – this may be considered a disadvantage, however, it features Secure Device Grid (SDG) for end to end encrypted communication ensuring your photos are safe and secure. Neither does it have access to online photo services – so apart from USB & SD cards you are restricted to adding content using the app. Fortunately the Frameo app is easy and instinctive to use.
There’s generous internal storage of 16GB, it boasts video clip compatibility, auto-rotate and allows you to use the 5-point touchscreen to zoom/resize individual photos.
Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame: What’s in the Box
- Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame
- Power adapter
- Screws for wall mounting
- User Manual
Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame: Pros and Cons
- Huge clear 15.6 inch 1920 x 1080 IPS touchscreen
- Great image quality
- Resize/zoom images using the touchscreen panel
- Various ways to add your photos (App, computer & external storage)
- Lots of internal storage (16GB)
- Compatible with external 64GB USB drives & 32GB SD Cards
- Can play 15 second video clips with sound
- Sleek interface with ability to delete, hide and adjust individual photos on the frame
- Add captions to your photos
- Frameo app is intuitive and secure utilizing their Secure Device Grid
- No ability to email photos to the frame
- No motion sensor for improved energy efficiency (but it does have manual sleep mode)
- No access to online photo services
- No dedicated remote control
Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
After installing the free Frameo app, completing setup of the Feelcare Picture Frame was easy. The app guides you through the installation process. Originally I felt that not having the ability to email photos was going to be inconvenient, but if you only have a few friends or family members who will use this, then it’s not really a problem – in fact I liked using the app, and the ability to add captions to the photos being sent was a neat feature. There’s also comfort in knowing its a very secure system using their Secure Device Grid technology.
If you get stuck you can contact Feelcare customer support by email.
- INSTANTLY SHARING YOUR MOMENTS，BEST GIFT FOR YOUR LOVED ONES: Send photos or small videos (max. 15 seconds) directly to Feelcare photo frames from anywhere in the world, friends and family can enjoy your wonderful moments within seconds on feelcare photo frames. With 16GB internal memory offers you a big storage capacity of photos. Best gift for Mother's day,Father's day and Christmas.
- FULL HD 1920x1080 IPS DISPLAY & TOUCH SCREEN: Wonderful picture display and wide viewing angle with Full High Definition IPS LCD panel. Touch screen allows you to set up the frame and view the photos conveniently. Brightness and sleep mode can be adjusted in settings as you want.
- FREE APP & EASY SHARE: The free smart phone app (Frameo) is available for both Android and iOS for direct photo sharing. You can send one photo or multiple photos to the photo frame anytime anywhere, no need creating an account, no need Facebook or email account. Also with micro USB port and micro SD card slot, its so simple and easy!
Atatat 8″ Digital Picture Frame
Atatat 8″ Digital Picture Frame: Key Features
The Atatat 8 is the smallest frame we’ve added to the shortlist, and in common with the BSIMB you may not be familiar with the brand – again, don’t let that worry you!
The relatively small 8 inch screen has a 1920 x 1080 FHD resolution – so produces a lot of detail in a small area. This may be a good option if you are generally close to the frame – bedside table or beside a favorite chair. Maybe this is a second or additional Digital Picture Frame in your room.
The unit comes complete with a comprehensive remote control allowing you to flick through your pictures with ease. Managing your photographs and albums is done with the free app, and adding new pictures can be done by email or any compatible SD card/USB drive – note you can only have one external storage device connected. It can also connect to Facebook and Twitter photo streams.
Unlike all the other digital photo frames – the Atatat has no onboard memory – this means you’ll have to separately purchase a USB thumb drive or SD Card (or use one you already own).
In common with the Feelcare 15.6″ Picture Frame the Atatat app uses Secure Device Grid (SDG) for end to end encrypted communication ensuring your photos are safe and secure.
Atatat 8″ Digital Picture Frame: What’s in the Box
- Atatat 8″ Digital Picture Frame
- User manual
- Remote control (batteries included)
Atatat 8″ Digital Picture Frame: Pros and Cons
- Great resolution density 1920 x 1080 on an 8″ screen
- Clear Full HD IPS screen with rich colors
- Can plays video clips up to 15 seconds and includes background music playback
- Includes a comprehensive remote control
- Add and manage photos using email or the free app
- Connects to Facebook & Twitter photo streams
- Intuitive app interface and very secure – utilizing Secure Device Grid
- Compatible with USB & SD cards up to 128GB
- Add emoticons and captions
- Wall mountable
- Small screen may be considered by some as a disadvantage
- No included internal storage
- No motion sensor (it does have an on/off timer)
- Short power cable
Atatat 8″ Digital Picture Frame: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
Setting up the Atatat Digital Picture Frame was easy enough, the user manual was simple to understand. Similar to the other frames we’ve reviewed, you might need some help depending on how confident your are with technology. The initial setup process of adding new photos by email, app, online photo service or from an external source is easy and convenient. The ability to just insert your USB drive or SD card keeps things simple – there’s no internal storage to complicate matters. No confusing or unnecessary features.
- 【WIRELESS SHARING MOMENT】Atatat WiFi digital picture frame can instantly share every excellent moment with your family and friends anytime, anywhere. Several convenient transfer methods: APP, Email, Facebook, Twitter. A perfect gift for all festivals!
- 【QUALITY IMAGE & IPS TOUCH SCREEN】Atatat WiFi digital photo frame can receive photos or videos in seconds with WiFi connected. 1920*1080 FHD high resolution offers awesome quality image and crystal clear video. IPS screen gives you a perfect visual experience. The touch screen enables you to easily set up the WiFi frame.
- 【AUOT ROTATE & ADD CAPTION】With the auto rotate function, you can put the WiFi photo album in portrait or landscape. You can add caption when sending photos. The slideshow, image zooming, display caption, adjustable brightness, weather forecast, calendar, clock, alarm, auto on/off adds more fun to your photo frame.
Using the included User Manuals, and guides, setting up each of the frames was reasonably straightforward – even if you’re a tech novice!