An Introduction to: Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers & Sensors
In this article we review 3 of the best Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers as well as 2 water sensors to detect leaking or overflowing water. Before we review these, it’s worth understanding a little about bathroom safety. There are many dangers in todays bathroom such as slippery floors and scalding water.
The National Library of Medicine recommend that to avoid scalding (also known as 2nd degree burns); the elderly should ensure that hot water used for bathing is below 43 degrees centigrade/110 degrees fahrenheit. The Burn Foundation advises us that 149 degree F. water can cause 3rd degree burns in 2 seconds.
As some people age their skin can become less sensitive to hot water. There are also certain health conditions, e.g. diabetes, that will also make you less aware of water temperature – so there is a danger you will get scaled before it’s too late.
The simplest method to avoid this hazard is testing the water with a water thermometer to ensure its safe. We also consider specialised water sensors/alarms that detect when a bath is overflowing or has reached a suitable predetermined depth – this significantly reduces the risk of overflowing/flooding if the individual forgets the bath is being run.
Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers: MeemawTech Key Criteria
It’s a well documented fact that if water is too hot you can get scaled or worse. For some elderly people this is compounded by reduced sensitivity to water temperature and other health conditions. Having an alarm or simple means to test water temperature will be a great benefit for well-being and general health. It also reduces any anxiety or concerns the elderly may have regarding “whats too hot” – especially if their skin has become desensitized to scalding water. The water sensors can further prevent the additional hazards of overflowing baths/flooding and slippery floors.
Bath times are private affairs, so having the ability to take a bath unaided will be a great comfort & confidence boost – increasing an individual’s feeling of independence. A water sensor will give the added piece of mind that should someone forget the bath is running they can be alerted before it’s too late.
Combine Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers, Water Sensors with other independence aids such as GPS Trackers for the Elderly, Incontinence Alarms, Pill Organizers & PIR Voice Memos to further promote independence of the elderly.
The Shortlist: Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers
Our favorite Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers as well as Water Sensors include a range of features and budgets to suit everyone. The comparison summary table will help you narrow down which are right for you.
MotherMed Bath ThermometerNo products found.
No products found.
MotherMed Bath Thermometer: Key Features
The No products found. is from an emerging brand that specializes in products for personal health and safety. Their range of bath thermometers are targeted at infants, however, the Red Flower bath thermometer is appropriate for all ages.
First and foremost it displays the temperature in fahrenheit – and can be used as room thermometer or in water/a bath. It’s fully waterproof and floats.
To activate the thermometer, you need to give it a quick shake – making it quite energy efficient. When the MotherMed Bath Thermometer is not in use it shuts off after 30 seconds. Once in the water it will take measurements every 5 seconds – and usually takes about a minute for the initial reading to stabilize. A nice feature is the inclusion of an LED that flashes red if its too hot (>102.2 F.) and blue if its too cold (<90 F.). It also displays the text “HOT” or “COLD” on the LCD screen.
It comes complete with CR2 battery – and when you do need to change the battery its a very simple process.
MotherMed Bath Thermometer: What’s in the BoxNo products found.
- MotherMed Bath Thermometer
- 1 x CR2 Battery
- User Manual
MotherMed Bath Thermometer: Pros and ConsNo products found.
- Water & Room temperature
- Great value
- Battery included
- Shake to activate
- Battery easy to replace
- Fully waterproof
- Automatic shut-off
- Displays “HOT” or “COLD” depending on the temperature
- LED lights flashes when temperature exceeds 102.2 F. or drops below 90 F.
- Maximum temperature is 122 Degrees F. / 50 Degrees C.
MotherMed Bath Thermometer: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
We found the Red Flower No products found. delightful to use – nothing complicated – shake, place in the water and wait for a minute and the temperature will be displayed (as well as HOT/COLD alerts).
When it comes to replacing the battery – you only need a coin to unscrew the back cover and swap the CR2 battery with a new one.
No products found.
Philips Avent Digital Thermometer (SCH480/00)
Philips Avent Digital Thermometer: Key Features
The Philips Avent Digital Thermometer is from Phillips – so you know you’re getting a great quality product from one of the largest manufacturers of electrical goods and products.
It’s been designed to be used both as a water thermometer and as a room thermometer which is a great advantage. You’ll notice straight away that the measurement is in degrees celsius – unfortunately there’s no option to change it to Fahrenheit which will be disappointing for some – however, all you really need to know is that 43 degrees celsius is considered safe.
It’s a pretty device, built from quality materials and If you are using it as a room thermometer, it can be placed in an upright position (with a slight angle) for easy visibility. Batteries are included, and it works straight out of the box.
Philips Avent Digital Thermometer: What’s in the Box
- Philips Avent Digital Thermometer
- 2 x LR44 coin batteries
- Operating instructions
Philips Avent Digital Thermometer: Pros and Cons
- Water & Room temperature
- Battery included
- Fully waterproof
- Build quality
- Upright display for room temperature
- Maximum temperature is 113 degrees F. / 45 degrees C.
- Measurement in celsius only
- Requires a screwdriver to open battery compartment
Philips Avent Digital Thermometer: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
Using the Philips Avent Digital Thermometer couldn’t be easier. It comes with 2 x LR44 batteries – so all you have to do to measure water temperature is place it in the bath – after about 30 seconds the reading will stabilize and you will clearly see the temperature. Using it as a room thermometer is equally as simple – position away from a radiator/heat source and wait a few minutes for it to stabilize.
As it comes from Phillips – you will have the backing and customer support you’d expect from one of the worlds largest manufacturers of consumer electronics.
Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer
Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer: Key Features
The Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer is from INKBIRD – founded in 2010 in Shenzhen. They manufacture a variety of products including temperature, PID & humidity controllers, data loggers, outlet thermostats, wireless thermometers and even sous vide cookers! The water thermometer we’re reviewing is available in 3 versions:
- IBS-P01 (Basic Version – no external monitor/receiver)
- IBS-P01B (Bluetooth Version – connects to your smartphone)
- IBS-P01R (Wireless Version with external monitor/receiver) – our choice
It comprises of 2 separate units: –
- Inkbird IBS-P01R Temperature and humidity monitor (receiver) – this is the external display monitor that can be placed upto 300 feet from the transmitter. It displays the water temperature (from the transmitter) as well as room temperature & humidity – with a range of -40 F. to 158 F. It automatically connects to the transmitter using a 433Mhz frequency (not wifi or bluetooth) – this keeps things very simple and reliable. The water and room temperature can be displayed in either Fahrenheit or Celsius which is a neat feature. Readings are taken every 10 seconds, and the monitor will keep a record of maximum and minimum temperatures.
- Inkbird IBS-P01R Wireless remote sensor (transmitter) – this houses the digital thermometer and is the unit that is placed into the bath water. It also includes an LCD display showing the current temperature, in either fahrenheit or celsius, as well as the “channel”. As the Inkbird IBS-P01R supports up to 3 transmitters – the channel identifies which remote sensor temperature is being displayed on the receiver. For our purposes we will only have one thermometer, so only channel 1 “CH1” will ever be displayed. It’s a little bit bigger than the other Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers we reviewed – at 8cm wide and 14cm deep.
You’ll have to provide your own batteries, 2 x AAA (Temperature and humidity monitor) and 2 x AA (Wireless remote sensor).
Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer: What’s in the Box
- Inkbird IBS-P01R Temperature and humidity monitor (receiver)
- Inkbird IBS-P01R Wireless remote sensor (transmitter)
- User manual
- Warranty card
Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer: Pros and Cons
- Wireless display
- IPX7 waterproofing
- Temperature range -40 F. to 158 F.
- Water temperature & room temperature/humidity readings
- Display in celsius or fahrenheit
- Records Max/Min temperatures
- Display monitor has built in stand or can also be wall mounted
- Up to 300 feet wireless range (433Mhz Transmission Frequency)
- Temperature readings every 10 seconds
- Larger than most bath thermometers
- Batteries not included 2 x AAA (Temperature and humidity monitor), 2 x AA (Wireless remote sensor)
Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
On the face of it, the Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer might look to be much more complicated to operate than other water thermometers, however, we found the two units connected together with ease. We loved ability to mount the monitor at eye level, making it so easy to read without stooping over the bath.
You do need to make sure that when inserting the batteries into the wireless remote sensor (i.e. the transmitter that you place in the bath water) you securely close the unit to ensure it remains waterproof – it needs to be screwed tight. Instructions are quite clear, and if you run into difficulties their customer support can be contacted by email.
- ????Wireless Pool Thermometer: The maximum connection distance is 300 feet. You can check temperature readings with the receiver inside home..
- ????Accurate Reading: Support both Fahrenheit and Celsius readings.
- ????Premium quality: The thermometer has adopted high quality materials, it is solid and durable.
Ideal Security Inc. Flood Water and Overflow Alarm
Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm: Key Features
The Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm is from a Montreal based company that was started in 1956. Based around family values and trust they distribute a variety of household security and safety products. We’ve picked the SK606 Flood, Water & Overflow Alarm to review.
The SK606 has a variety of uses such as detecting water from faulty appliances, burst pipes, leaking roofs etc. The use we have for it is to sound an alarm you when your bath water has reached a certain height – therefore preventing an overflow if you have forgotten the bath was being run.
It’s such a simple device to install. Once the batteries have been inserted you need to position the sensor, on a suction cup, in the bath at the level you want it filled to – or maybe a little below to give you time to go in and turn the water off. The alarm unit can be placed in a safe place up to 6 feet away.
You have two choices of alert: Alarm or Musical Chime – both sound at 105 decibels, which should be loud enough to hear in most households. The only way to stop the alert is by manually turning the unit off or removing the sensor from the water.
Available in black or white, this low power consumption device, runs from a single 9 volt battery. There is also a low battery alert that beeps every two minutes when the battery is about to run out.
Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm: What’s in the Box
- SK606 Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm
- 6 foot cable
- Instruction manual
Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm: Pros and Cons
- Ample 6 foot sensor cable
- Loud 105dB alarm
- Has variety of different uses
- Choice of alerts (alarm or musical chime)
- Alarm will continue until action is taken
- Built-in suction cup for easy positioning
- Low battery alert (unit will chirp every 2 minutes)
- Low power consumption
- Available in black or white
- 9V battery not included
Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
The battery cover of the Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm simply slides open to reveal the 9V connector – after connecting the battery its worth doing a quick test in a glass of water. Use the side switch to select the either the Alarm or Music (chime) – wait for 30 seconds until you hear the activation beep – the unit is now in standby mode and can be used. It’s recommended that you change the battery every 6 months.
Ideal Security Inc. customer services can be contacted by phone or email should you have any questions.
- Water Leak Detector: Avoid or minimize damage with this easy-to-use water alarm; it alerts you when leakages occur in faulty appliances, burst pipes, sewer backups, leaky roofs, heavy rainfall, overland flooding, and more
- Easy to Install: The sensor wire keeps the water detector easily accessible when placing it in hard-to-reach locations; the built-in suction cup lets you stick it to the inside lip of a bathtub or sink for overflow alerts
- Efficient Design: A loud 105dB alarm or musical chime is triggered when the water sensor makes contact with water; the alarm will continue to sound until the sensor is dried or the battery discharges
Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm
Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm: Key Features
The Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm is from a popular manufacturer of smart lights and home improvement devices. Part of their range includes the Wif-Fi Water Leak Sensor.
This is the only truly “smart” device in our collection of Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers & Sensors and requires the use of a smartphone and companion app to get the most out of it. Although, it’s worth noting that the Wi-Fi gateway that comes with the Water Leak Sensor has a built-in alarm – so it will alert you to leakages even if your phone is switch off.
Unlike the Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm, this device is not intended to be used as a bath overflow device. The bundled Govee water detector is placed on the floor or near something (or somewhere) that is at risk of flooding or leaks. On contact with water a 100 decibel alarm will sound on the Wi-Fi gateway, and you will receive customizable alerts to your smartphone app.
The package consists of two devices: –
The Water leak detector – this is the small water sensor that you place near the bath, sink or other area at risk of water damage or leaks. One sensor comes with the package – but you can add up to 10 of these sensors to one Wi-Fi gateway. They can be bought in packs of 2, 5 or individually. Once added to the companion app – you can rename the sensor(s) with descriptive titles like “Bathroom Sink”, “Washing Machine” etc. The water leak detector is powered with the included 2 x AAA batteries.
The Wi-Fi Gateway – this combined network gateway and alarm is plugged into the mains. It connects the water leak detector(s) to your home network so that alerts can be sent to your phone. It’s also capable of boosting the network signal to the sensor(s) and ensuring a secure and stable connection. Another feature of the Wi-Fi gateway is the built-in 100 decibel alarm – this is a failsafe in the event your phone is switched off or out of service – you will still be alerted.
Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm: What’s in the Box
- Water leak detector
- Wi-Fi gateway
- 2 x AAA batteries
- User manual
- Service card
Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm: Pros and Cons
- Smartphone app integration with real time alerts (Android & iOS)
- IP66 Waterproof
- Good value
- Smart battery level display
- WiFi gateway for stable connectivity
- Includes built-in 100 dB alarm (if smartphone is powered off)
- Can purchase additional sensors separately (supports up to 10)
- Sensors can be uniquely named
- Custom notifications
- LED indicator
- Variable volume (high, medium, low & mute)
- Batteries included
- Sensors have low energy consumption (1 year on standby)
- No means to attach the sensor to the inside of your bath
- Maybe considered too complicated by some
Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm: MeemawTech Key Criteria
Ease of use
The Govee WiFi Water Sensor Alarm is probably the only device in this article where you will definitely need to refer to the instructions to install it. The 13 page booklet is simple to follow if you’re reasonable confident with things like smartphones or adding devices to your home Wi-Fi – if not you might need to call on some help.
For technical difficulties and customer support, Govee can be contacted by email or phone (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm EST)
- Real-time Alerts: Connect the gateway to WiFi, and it will instantly send emails, App notifications & alerts to your phone when water leakage occurs even you're not at home. Water sensors and gateway are paired right out of the box. Note: only support 2.4G WiFi, not support 5G WiFi.
- Loud Alarm with Mute: If WiFi is not temporarily available, our 100dB alarm is loud enough to be heard. Press the Mute button to silence the alarm when you find the leak.
- Drip and Leak Alerts: Water sensor comes with 2 groups of back water detector probes & 1 group of front probes for pipe dripping detection. Use the App to name each sensor with its location.
The two Bath Water and Water Temperature Thermometers that stood out for us were the No products found. – so simple to use & also great value. Then we loved the ability to mount the external monitor of the Inkbird IBS-P01R Thermometer – plus the included room temperature & humidity readings made it a worthy contender.
Our favorite water sensor was the Ideal Security Inc. Flood, Water and Overflow Alarm – again, it’s simple reliable operation and ability to position it inside a bath or sink proved a great feature.